Oregon connection +240ms delay

Users help users
AB7BS

Oregon connection +240ms delay

Post by AB7BS »

Happy new year all, this is Chris in Oregon. I just love how amazing this works, hands down amazing.

My connection is fiber and I'm seeing regularly 245-255ms delay with not in bypass. Is there a way to specify what server I'm connecting to?

73, Chris
HB9VQQ
Site Admin

Re: Oregon connection +240ms delay

Post by HB9VQQ »

Hi Chris,

Happy New Year and welcome to the Forum.

Glad you like RM Noise. Currently, there are 3 servers, 2 in Texas and 1 in Europe. The delay figures you observe are normal. When the RM Noise client software starts, it will determine the best server for you in terms of network latency and packet loss. No manual server selection is currently available AFAIK.

Roland
RandyW
Site Admin

Post by RandyW »

Chris,

You were using v0.21.9.6.2 of the client software. This version is only configured to use 1 server in Texas.

We are finalizing v0.21.9.7.x - also known as the multi-server client. This version automatically selects the best between all available servers. More on this version can be found here: https://ournetplace.com/rm-noise/new-se ... rs-wanted/

Delay is [roughly] the sum of:
  • The time it takes to get enough sound from the soundcard
  • The internet round trip time
  • The server processing time (around 10ms)
  • Extra RM Noise buffering to handle network jitter and soundcard sync
To continue, here is your connection plus another [admittedly cherry-picked] user:

I was surprised to see these figures, as you are on fiber:
Your average internet round trip time to Texas + server processing is around 110ms
You have very large spikes in max latency - sometimes greater than a full second

The large spikes are causing audio glitches because the audio is arriving beyond the time configured in OPTIONS->MAX AUDIO BUFFER:
For instance in the 90 seconds preceding 16:33:02.524 there were 20 audio frames dropped: client: HHZ ( ab7bs ) audio buffer exceeded count count: 20 average: 1.000 max: 1.000 total: 20.000

(I included a second user in the graph to demonstrate that the latency spikes were isolated to your connection, suggesting the issue wasn't the server processing or the server's immediate internet connection.)

WIFI is a common culprit of high latency spikes. VPN's are another.

I was unable to ping your public IP address, but I was able to ping an IP a few away from yours from the server. Here is that datapoint, for what it is worth:
--- xxx.113.32.70 ping statistics ---
300 packets transmitted, 300 received, 0% packet loss, time 299399ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 83.641/85.293/106.536/2.206 ms

(5 minute test, 85ms average, 106ms max)

Happy new year!
AB7BS

Post by AB7BS »

I really appreciate the in depth reply. I'll look into things here to be sure and love what everyone is doing. If there is ever a way to run this locally on say a Linux server or something else, I would love to try that also - have the hardware needed.

Happy new year!
Chris
RandyW
Site Admin

Post by RandyW »

AB7BS wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:05 pm If there is ever a way to run this locally on say a Linux server or something else, I would love to try that also - have the hardware needed.
We hope to offer the server for free, but currently it isn't our intention to make the neural networks / programming / secret sauce available.

As an alternative, we would like to have additional geographically diverse servers. Initially our goal will be in locations that have user concentrations such as South America, central and Eastern Asia and Australia.