Experiencing packet loss

Users help users
wd4elg

Experiencing packet loss

Post by wd4elg »

v0.21.9.6.2. What an amazing program!!

I am using an ICOM 705 and my PC is connecting to it using Wifi with the radio as its own Access Point. Packet loss seems more prevalent with weaker signal sending uneven CW or on a weaker signal.

Listening to 40 meter CW, 2.8 khz bw chosen on the radio, I am filtering with the slider at max. I can definitely hear the signal much more clearly with the slider at 1.0 and can barely hear the signal in the noise at bypass, but packet loss is preventing me from understanding the code.

I tried varying the latency and it seemed to help with higher values up to 500 ms, but not completely eliminate the issue.

By lost packets, I am hearing CW that characters that seem to run into each other without proper spacing....making it hard to decode. When I select bypass, I can hear the signal and it sounds like perfect CW.

I don't see packet loss being reported on the info graph.

Thanks for the help.

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG
HB9VQQ
Site Admin

Re: Experiencing packet loss

Post by HB9VQQ »

Hello Mark,

thanks for reporting your observation. I am using the same setup, the only difference is the Wifi AP is an external device not using the internal AP of the IC-705. Here is the link to an SSB example with the IC-705 and RM Noise https://x.com/HB9VQQ/status/1717467724417233288?s=20

Maybe you could try to use your mobile cellphone as a Wifi AP and try again?

Roland
wd4elg

Post by wd4elg »

Thanks Roland. I am confused, please explain in detail how you are using the cellphone with 705 as a Wifi AP?
HB9VQQ
Site Admin

Post by HB9VQQ »

Mark,

if you are using an iPhone you can enable the personal hotspot. Not sure about Android but I guess they have a similar feature.

Roland
wd4elg

Post by wd4elg »

I was not clear with my question, Roland. My apologies, let me try again.

The 705 has two modes...one where it functions as an independent AP and one where it connects to an existing AP like a home router/Wifi. Which one are you suggesting that I use? Please clarify how you are suggesting I include the phone in my setup, because I don't understand.....if I remove the PC from the setup, how will I hear the audio on my PC?
RandyW
Site Admin

Post by RandyW »

I inspected your RM Noise logs and can confirm there was no packet loss. There were a few audio frames that arrived beyond the time configured in your max audio buffer setting, and this also causes audio dropouts.

Notice the audio buffer exceeded graph corresponds to spikes in your max network and server latency.

The only other thing I can offer is that during the exact same time period, other users didn't experience latency spikes at the same time, suggesting that the source of the spikes was not at the server itself.
RandyW
Site Admin

Post by RandyW »

wd4elg wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:24 amI am using an ICOM 705 and my PC is connecting to it using Wifi
How does the PC achieve internet access?

wd4elg wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:24 amI tried varying the latency and it seemed to help with higher values up to 500 ms, but not completely eliminate the issue.
Do you mean you increased the max audio buffer setting in the RM Noise client?

If so, this would help with the aforementioned audio buffer exceeded glitches. In any case, you could raise this value to the maximum for troubleshooting purposes.
wd4elg

Post by wd4elg »

THanks again, Randy.

The PC achieves internet access because I have two internet cards: one for wireless that connects to the 705, and an ethernet cable that connects to the router and then the internet.

Yes, max audio buffer set to maximum.

Your analysis of the RM noise logs makes sense, I did not think the issue was with the servers. I am not using RS-BA1 to connect to the 705...I am using WFView. I can try adjusting the audio buffer there as well to see if it has an impact.
HB9VQQ
Site Admin

Post by HB9VQQ »

Mark,

I had the same issues when using the AP of the IC-705. The packet loss disappeared when I used an existing AP or my phone as an AP. I connected the 705 and my Notebook to the phone's AP. Problem gone.

Roland