IC-7300 audio routing

Users help users
Maguid

IC-7300 audio routing

Post by Maguid »

It's a bit baffling when the inputs and outputs from the 7300 that appear in the PC are opposite from reality. In addition to that, Windows 10/11 gives very few flexible routing choices. Bringing the 7300 sound into the PC requires accessing the 7300 sound card codec on the Recording Tab, then on the Listen Tab, checking the "Listen to this device."

However, the RM Noise Options menu does not allow sending the sound to the server from the appropriate route it is coming from.

Am I missing something?
RandyW
Site Admin

Re: IC-7300 audio routing

Post by RandyW »

Maguid wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:41 am Bringing the 7300 sound into the PC requires accessing the 7300 sound card codec on the Recording Tab, then on the Listen Tab, checking the "Listen to this device."

However, the RM Noise Options menu does not allow sending the sound to the server from the appropriate route it is coming from.
If the "7300 sound card codec" exists in the "recording tab", doesn't it also exist in the RM Noise INPUT DEVICE list ? (Be sure and check all of the different WINDOWS API choices.) If it does exist, this is what you should use for your INPUT DEVICE.

Checking the "Listen to this device" is the opposite of what I recommend, because if your default windows output device is your speaker or headphone, then you will hear the radio before you start RM Noise, which is not going to work.
PH7R

Post by PH7R »

You have to set your audio setting in W10/11 to you pc audio and not IC7300 Codec (like for FT8). In RM Noise go into options and set to MME: MS Sound mapper. After that you have sound via your pc speakers and you can use the slider (left) in RM Noise.
HB9VQQ
Site Admin

Post by HB9VQQ »

Thank you Ron. IC-7300 settings

7300-RMN.jpg
7300-RMN.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 13042 times
W4ZD

Post by W4ZD »

This is my first day with RM Noise so maybe I don’t have a clue yet, but for me…
I can choose either “MME: Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)” or “MME: Microsoft Sound Mapper – Input.” They are the same with my defaults.

And for listening I can use the computers speakers with either setting of “MME: Speakers (Realtek® Audio” or “MME: Microsoft Sound Mapper – Output.” Again, they are the same. (Your speakers / soundcard output might be different from RealTec Audio).

Don’t forget to hit “Activate” to save the setting.

Of course, this assumes you have the Icom USB driver installed and working right with your PC.

For me it works the same if I choose the Windows DirectSound API instead of MME.

Using the Listen Tab and checking the "Listen to this device" approach I am sure is not the right approch as you want to listen to the output from RM Noise, for wither filtered or unfiltered audio.
Gordon W4ZD
Last edited by W4ZD on Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maguid

Post by Maguid »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

From that, I have found a working solution. The VB Audio Voicemeter Banana multichannel soundboard routes the audio into the AI Noise. I can route the audio in an aux channel to where I want it to go. I can also use my Blue microphone via another channel into the 7300 without interfering with the receive channel. The Banana can handle many useful audio protocols other than MME, such as Direct Sound & WASAPI. It also has a recording function to save real-time data from AI Noice.

All this is easily saved in a config file, which loads with the Banana app. A batch file is following to get this all working with one click.
HB9VQQ
Site Admin

Post by HB9VQQ »

That looks like a nice solution with the VB Audio Voicemeter Banana https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm
Thanks for sharing
K0VH

Post by K0VH »

W4ZD wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:17 pm This is my first day with RM Noise so maybe I don’t have a clue yet, but for me…
I can choose either “MME: Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)” or “MME: Microsoft Sound Mapper – Input.” They are the same with my defaults.

And for listening I can use the computers speakers with either setting of “MME: Speakers (Realtek® Audio” or “MME: Microsoft Sound Mapper – Output.” Again, they are the same. (Your speakers / soundcard output might be different from RealTec Audio).

Don’t forget to hit “Activate” to save the setting.

Of course, this assumes you have the Icom USB driver installed and working right with your PC.

For me it works the same if I choose the Windows DirectSound API instead of MME.

Using the Listen Tab and checking the "Listen to this device" approach I am sure is not the right approch as you want to listen to the output from RM Noise, for wither filtered or unfiltered audio.
Gordon W4ZD
I've been using RM Noise for a few weeks now on my IC7300 and just registered for this forum. I'm not having luck using the MME: MS Sound Mapper In/Outputs but using the MME: Microphone (USB Audio CODEC) input and equivalent Headphones for output it works OK. I have a default macro setup on my Win4Icom rig control app that sets things up similar to FT8/PSK31 interfacing to the PC, perhaps that's the difference? Very impressed with RM Noise so far especially on my attic antenna which has much more rf noise than my outside vertical. 73 Dave @ SE MN
Maguid

Post by Maguid »

Following up on my initial submission:

I have resolved my issues regarding the routing of audio on Windows 11. Using the VB Potato virtual mixing board, I can route the AUX output of Icom 7300 to the input of the RM Noise application. I can also easily route the microphone into the 7300 using the Potato mixer, a much better sound mixing application than the VB Banana.

The advantage of the Potato mixer is that I can use compression to limit nearby stations from overdriving the system. The 7300 does have automatic gain control but has limited attack time control of the signal.

Now, when I use the 7300 through the computer, it takes moments to get it up & running with RM Noise, and it works beautifully. I participate in daily networks on 10 & 80 meters. Both bands can be amazing one day and terrible the next. RM Noise presents the sound quality as if it is almost FM. There is one minor issue I've noticed, which is that there is some very faint crosstalk-like sound. It is not enough to detract from the overwhelming good quality of the intended reception.